Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Language Gimmicks

Yeah, I know we all use them, but sometimes it’s fun to think about them.

My friend pointed out this one:

"As March and UIC Women's Heritage Month are rapidly approaching, the Women's
Leadership and Resource Center is reaching out to the campus to see who has
programs or events planned for this month."

She asked me if I’d ever stopped to think about the fact that no month actually approaches any faster than any other. I realized that I’d probably seen that phrase a couple dozen times but had never given it a second thought.

I responded to my friend with a defense of the phrase. As a student who writes a lot, I certainly understand its use. Even though it’s cliché, there’s no easier entry into any story about an approaching event. It can be very handy if you're in a hurry and can't seem to find your creative spark.

I think this is all true, but then she pointed out that this message was distributed earlier this week. We’re still in January. Even if time does seem to move more quickly as deadlines get closer, we still have to get through most of February before March can fast approach.With the added perspective I now absolutely agree that my friend has complete license to make fun of this phrase in this particular context. No event is fast approaching unless it's a week or less away...

Kudos to people who are ahead of the game, because as a pre-professional procrastinator, I most certainly am not. I’m too busy spending time poking fun at your too-far-ahead-of-schedule memos.

Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment