Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Brand-Name Words: Not the Real Deal

Yesterday's experiences with Duck Tape got me thinking about many of the brand names that have become semi-official nouns. This could be a very long list, but I'll just include the few that I can think of off the top of my head.

Duck Tape--Duct Tape
Vaseline--Petroleum Jelly
Band Aid--Adhesive Bandages
Pop Tarts--Toaster Pastries
Q-Tips--I don't even know the actual word for them...
Windex--Glass Cleaner

Well, anyway, you get the idea. And according to Earl, my journalism professor, even Dumpster is a brand name. So what do you actually call them? Giant trash receptacles? I'm not sure, but the kicker is that all of these are trademarked, so if you use them without the appropriate permission and the Q-Tip, Dumpster or Pop-Tart lawyers are feeling especially predatory, you're toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment